Monday, July 29, 2013

Review: Coco Caramel

Another delicious book in the Chocolate Box Girls series from bestselling girls' favourite, Cathy Cassidy. Coco is the youngest of the Tanberry sisters nbsp;and while she thinks she's the most sensible, she's as headstrong as any of them. Coco is crazy about animals and loves her riding lessons. When Caramel her favourite pony at the stables is sold, Coco scopes out the new owner - and she's not happy about what she discovers. Coco needs to rescue Caramel from a horrid fate.With big sister Honey going off at the deep end and Summer only just recovering from her eating disorder, there's no-one at Tanglewood to help Coco out. Can she do it alone - or will a new friend help her? -Goodreads

Author: Cathy Cassidy
Publisher: Puffin
Pages: 263 (hardback)
Source: Bought
Goodreads | Amazon

Coco Caramel is the fourth "Chocolate Box Girls" book, which is a series I love! I've been anticipating this book for just under a year, so I was really happy to get my hands on it. Because Coco is twelve, and a tomboy, I thought that out of the five sisters I would be able to relae to her most out of the five sisters. In some ways, I was right, but in others, I wasn't.

Fresh and light are two words that describe the book. It has action, lots of emotion and a touch of romance. The emotion is well-described, thoughtful and really shows what it's like to be twelve- some girls are maturing, some girls aren't; or they are maturing in different ways, like Coco. Coco's level of maturity wasn't about whether or not she wore make-up or flirted with boys, it was about knowing about the world and dealing with problems that she encountered, like her sister's eating disorder and the difficulties with Honey.

Naturally, no book has no faults- and one of the few Coco Caramel has is how some things were explained. This was few and far between, of course, but in places I think some things could have clearer explanations; but I wouldn't take my word for it, I think that a lot about books I read.

Coco has a very unique character: she dreams big, she doesn't give up and she will do anything for her animals... Bake cakes, make banners or even steal a horse from a bully... I love the fact that Cathy made her determination come through her character so well, because if it hadn't been shown properly, I wouldn't have realised just how good this quality of Coco's is!

Another thing I love about the Chocolate Box Girls in general is the loyalty between the sisters. Even though they knew something bad was going on with Honey, they kept their "sister's-don't-tell" rule... But perhaps in other ways this wasn't so good, as it got Honey in more trouble. Even if this wasn't so good, the loyalty is still beautiful to me: they still kept their promise even when i would have helped their family. Good or bad, that is a beautiful sisterly thing to have.

Overall, I loved the book- a light read for whenever. Avaliable for £5.00 on Amazon (link above), I would definitely say it's worth it! 

Cathy Cassidy is definitely one of my favourite authors and has once again lived up and rised above my expectations. I can't wait for the next, and probably final, installment to The Chocolate Box Girls!





Charli xx

P.S This review was for #reviewparty! It is a new monthly meme that me, Amy and Sophie are hosting. Basically, it is a day each month where everyone does a book review, possibly sometimes themed, and we talk about it!

4 comments:

  1. Hehe, you mentioned us all! YAY! Firstly, I love how your posts begin with "Written With Thought by Charli"... its a really nice touch & your blog is coming along so well already! I don't know why, but I feel proud... *hugs* This is a great review & hurrah for the lack of spoilers! I'm surprised there's still only a light touch of romance... I was under the impression Cathy was writing for older readers now, which I'd be glad about because she's one of my favourite authors! Well, was more so when I was younger... I grew up with her books. I just need to remind myself I'm not too old for them ;) I obviously am not so will have to steal them off my younger sister & let you know what I think...
    The sisters are lovely and I can understand that. This is the second book I've encountered which deals with this topic & both I'd say, are aimed at slighter younger than YA's, which is OK! I love to witness this, the fact that authors do write about mature topics & don't "write down" to their readers, young or not.
    I would recommend the book I reviewed during our #reviewparty to you, and I guess anybody reading this... My review of The Truth About Celia Frost @ Amy Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I start it with that as I like my readers to know that I put effort into my posts just for my readers :) and of course you should feel proud, within a few days you have helped me shape it. Although I blog at RTSG, book blogging is obviously different and you've helped me with that *hugs back*. I think its only a touch of romance as the sister which this one is about, Coco, is only 12 so not much goes on! Yeah, they aren't exactly YA but they are for readers around my sort of age, which is cool. I think the sisters' loyalty is amazing, as I say in the review :) thanks for such a long comment and the recommendation :D
      Charli xxx

      Delete
  2. One of my pet peeves in books is a lack of loyalty between siblings, especially sisters (which is odd because I don't have a sister). So, it's nice to see a book that does have that loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! yeah, I have a sister 10yrs younger but we have a really tight bond and I really hope it will keep when I'm like 20 and she's 10!

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori