Thursday, August 08, 2013

Review: An Abundance of Katherines

Colin Singleton likes girls named Katherine, who have dumped him 19 times. On a road trip, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has $10K, a trailing bloodthirsty hog, and a best friend riding shotgun. His Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability should predict any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally get him the girl.

Author: John Green (*fangirl*)
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 272
Source: Bought
Goodreads | Amazon

I bought this book on a bit of a whim; my local Waterstones didn't have the book I wanted, so instead, I bought this! Naturally, it is amazing.

The first thing that had a big impression on me was the footnotes in this book. When there are footnotes in a book, I can turn the page and read them first. In all honesty, footnotes distract me. I guess they did in this book, too, but less than usual because I was so intrigued by the book!

Another thing was the maths in it. Colin is one of those people who think everything has mathematics and science to it, even things like love. In the book, he is trying to make an algebraic formula that shows the configure of a relationship. It, in theory, shows when a relationship will break up, and who will dump who. I normally hate maths in a fiction book, but the maths in this, as it wasn't maths like normal, it was about life, and it fascinated me all throughout the book.

The characters are well formed and have obvious characteristics, which is both good and bad. I love Hassan's character particularly: he isn't afraid to stick to his opinions, and is loyal to his friends, as long as they are loyal to him. He is quite a transparent character, whereas if the book hadn't been from Colin's view, I probably wouldn't have been able to figure him out. During his upbringing, Colin always had different "markers" (targets, but called markers) and you can see this through his character. He had to work out the Thereom, he had to get his ex back... Even though he wasn't young anymore, he still set himself these markers, and felt like a failure when he couldn't achieve them. 

An Abundance of Katherines is a funny, coming-of-age novel that you should enjoy if you like road trips, sharp characters, humour, and don't mind that little bit of maths.

It's not perfect, but it's a great book that I loved reading!



Charli x

4 comments:

  1. I agree, this book was definitely fun! I just fall in love with any books that include road trips though... the moment I'm old enough I'm definitely going on one haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a great book! I don't fancy a road trip, I don't think I could cope haha!

      Thanks for your comment!

      Charli x

      Delete
  2. Great Review Charli, I'm totally loving the new site. I am a massive John Green fan and this is the only one of his I haven't managed to read. The guy is a genius and every book of his has proven to be hilarious and entertaining. Have you read The Fault In Our Stars? If you haven't i'd totally suggest it as it's my all time fave and the best book ever written. It's definitely him at he's best. The footnote sounds like a interesting change and I love the whole road trip aspect.

    - Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you so much :) I have read TFiOS, it's how I got into John Green :D I'm re-reading it at the moment, and planning on reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson soon if I can get hold of it. The road trip is really cool in this book!

      Charli x

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori