Thursday, August 22, 2013

Review: All Our Yesterdays

Em is locked in a bare, cold cell with no comforts. Finn is in the cell next door. The Doctor is keeping them there until they tell him what he wants to know. Trouble is, what he wants to know hasn't happened yet.

Em and Finn have a shared past, but no future unless they can find a way out. The present is torture - being kept apart, overhearing each other's anguish as the Doctor relentlessly seeks answers. There's no way back from here, to what they used to be, the world they used to know. Then Em finds a note in her cell which changes everything. It's from her future self and contains some simple but very clear instructions. Em must travel back in time to avert a tragedy that's about to unfold. Worse, she has to pursue and kill the boy she loves to change the future.

Author: Cristin Terrill
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 362
Date of Publication: 1st August 2013
Series: Cassandra Chronicles #1
Source: For review
Goodreads | Amazon

I received this book for free from Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review. This doesn't affect my review in any way at all. 

This book is an astonishing time-travel novel, where every page hits you and intrigues you with twists at every corner. There are extremely well-formed characters and emotions throughout the book which draw you further into the book.

In the first few chapters of the book, there is quite a lot of action, which normally overwhelms me in a book, but in this one it worked. There are many links and hints throughout the book to the mystery of the time-travel, which pull you further into the book. The descriptions in the book are truly beautiful, bringing more depth into the book and making you feel like you are truly there.

Em is a character I could interact with. She was determined, productive... But she was also cheeky and found humour. "...as though he gives a damn. I blow the director a kiss as best I can without the use of my hands...". At the start, I didn't like Marina, she seemed too posh and girly, but she becomes interesting and with hidden depths further into the book. Finn is just awesome! Cute, cool and loving... He has definitely become yet another book boyfriend for me!

The first sentence impacts on you quite heavily: "I stare at the drain in the center of the concrete floor." It makes you wonder where she is and why she is so preoccupied staring at this drain; what does she want to do with it? There is also a scene where they are mulling over their thoughts with peanut butter sandwiches, and that scene stuck with me throughout the rest of the book, because a lot of deep thoughts and ideas are revealed just while they eat those sandwiches!

Another two quotes I like are two that are quite mysterious and drag you into the book: "The weight of the future settles on me..." and "I raise the gun, and James lunges at me".

I mentioned earlier that this book is extremely descriptive. This is one quote (Marina's point of view) that I liked, "I slump in my chair and would probably slip off it if it weren't for the bindings around my wrists. My body hums with the aftereffects of the shock, like a tuning fork slammed against the edge of a table."

There are lots of quick point of view switches in some of the more action-heavy chapters, which works well and made me wonder what was going to happen next. The ending was truly beautiful, too, and wasn't on too much of a cliff-hanger, but has made me want the next book in the series!

So, overall, this book was astonishingly intriguing and beautiful. I loved it and am definitely going to read the next book, which is to be released in 2014. 



Charli x 

14 comments:

  1. Ok I'm going to pre order now....I just NEED this book!!!! I love that they switch PoVs & it works. Different PoVs in books are one of my favorite things, but I can't stand when it's done badly. Now I'm going to be watching for the sandwich scene too. :-) ahhh I can't wait to get it now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU REALLY DO!!! It's SO good!

      The sandwich scene rocks ;)

      Charli x

      Delete
  2. I'm really looking forward to this one! I haven't read many time travel books, and from the looks and sounds of it, I'll love this.

    The book I'm reading right now--Timepiece by Myra McEntire--actually includes time travel. And guess what? One of the main character's name is Em (short for Emerson).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't normally like time-travel, or sci-fi for that matter, but this was absolutely phenomenal.

      Haha, cool!

      Charli x

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited to finish it. I'm currently reading it and chapter 1 is amazing! Although I think if you weren't a major sci fi fan like me you might find the time travel a bit confusing coz I saw that in quite a few reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! Hope you enjoy. I don't like sci-fi and some did confuse me (I'd forgotten it was time-travel!!)

      Charli x

      Delete
  4. Fab review as always, Charli! I have this book too but haven't got around to reading it yet. Will have to bump it up my TBR pile now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should, definitely. Amazing book! :)

      Charli x

      Delete
  5. Charli, you know how much I want to read this book! It just sounds amazing, and that cover is gorgeous! I love great writing, and elaborate descriptions so this should be the book for me(as you commented it's descriptive)
    -Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly amazing, both the writing and cover! From what I know you like to read, I think you would love it!

      Charli x

      Delete
  6. I was offered this for review and since reading your post there is no way I'm going to pass it down. All the quotes listed were really intriguing and have me quite interested. Looks great. Awesome Review as always :)

    - Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely get it! It is absolutely amazing!

      Thanks so much!

      Charli x

      Delete
  7. This book sounds amazing! I hadn't heard of this before reading your review (shocking I know :D) but im defiantly going to pick it up now! lovely review xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, definitely give it a go!

      Thank you x

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori