Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Review: Diary of a Mall Girl

The mall is the heart of the fifteen-year-old Molly's suburban town. Most teens hang around with friends there, get their first job there, and experience their first kiss there. And Molly? She actually lives there, in the complex's residential wing, where she navigates the dramas of teenage life, falling out with her friends and falling for the dark, mysterious boy-next-door. But is living in a massive shopping centre as much fun as it sounds? Well, yes... and no. Find out the whole truth in Molly's private diary! 

Author: Luisa Plaja
Publisher: Curious Fox Books (more on then later!)
Source: For review

Diary of a Mall Girl was a book that let me relax. You don't have to overthink anything in it; it just happens. This is good, because every now and then I need a book that I can just read without having to worry too much! I read it pretty quickly.

I loved reading about Molly's life, which was supposedly "over". It's full of fun, it's quirky and shows pretty much how a teenager's life goes, in all honesty. She had trouble with her family, friends and boys: that's how it goes! The characters all have simple personalities, but it works well! Wendy is a nasty girl at times, but realises her mistakes afterwards. Ameera is a bit of a sheep, and I didn't like her very much at all!

The best bit of the book, probably, is the romantic aspect. I love the fact that she seems to think she is in "love" with Liam, and is so happy when he goes out with her, but ends up falling for Jasper. That was quite obvious from the start, but it didn't matter but of all the twists and turns in the book!

Personally, I can't imagine living in a shopping centre! I just think it would be too loud and crowded, especially at Christmas! However, while reading the book, I came to like the idea... But I'm one of those boring people who would never live in a mall, even if you could just pop up to the cafe or ice-cream stall every few days. Even so, imagining it in the book is pretty simple, as due to the descriptions (which aren't too heavy unlike in some books where they are in paragraphs, this book has it quite subtley) you can just visualise it!

I believe that every book has a lesson, or moral, to it. In this book, it's less of a lesson and kind of like tips! I'm slightly younger than Molly is in the book, and it's given me some hints on how not to act when I'm in those awkward ages.

I would recommend this book for 10-13 year olds particularly, but most teens could enjoy it as a quick, light summer read!



_________________________________________________

I'm officially part of TEAM FOX! It's an awesome team of children's, teens and YA book bloggers who receive Curious Fox Publisher's books to review on their blogs. Thank you so much for letting me join in and sending me this book Curious Fox, I can't wait to see what I get to read from you next!

Charli x

2 comments:

  1. It's probably not the sort of book I'd read myself, but I totally understand the need to sometimes read something that doesn't require too much thinking. Your review gave me a really good understanding of the book and if it were of a genre that interested me I would probably give it a go.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori