Thursday, September 05, 2013

Review: Arclight

No one crosses the wall of light... except for one girl who doesn’t remember who she is, where she came from, or how she survived. The Arclight is the last defense. The Fade can’t get in. Outside the Arclight’s border of high-powered beams is the Dark. And between the Light and the Dark is the Grey, a narrow, barren no-man’s-land. That’s where the rescue team finds Marina, a lone teenage girl with no memory of the horrors she faced or the family she lost. Marina is the only person who has ever survived an encounter with the Fade. She’s the first hope humanity has had in generations, but she could also be the catalyst for their final destruction. Because the Fade will stop at nothing to get her back. Marina knows it. Tobin, who’s determined to take his revenge on the Fade, knows it. Anne-Marie, who just wishes it were all over, knows it. When one of the Fade infiltrates the Arclight and Marina recognizes it, she will begin to unlock secrets she didn’t even know she had. Who will Marina become? Who can she never be again?

Author: Josin L. McQuien
Publisher: Electric Monkey (UK)
Pages: 400
Date of Publication: August 5th (UK)
Source: Won (Thank you Claire Legrand! ARCAPALOOZA was such fun!

I won this book in Claire Legrand's ARCAPALOOZA, and I hadn't heard of it before; and I absolutely loved it. It's intriguing, beautifully written and descriptive. It uses those pesky writing techniques that we are told to in English, but extremely well, unlike forced like in my short stories for English. It uses quite a lot of short sentences, which are effectively mixed with longer, more descriptive sentences. One of my favourite short sentences was "Absolute silence terrifies me."

The natural flow of the book makes it a lot easier to read; though it is does put quite a weight on your emotions. It's one of those books everyone says "I read it in one sitting!" but I didn't,  I took short breaks every 5 or 7 chapters to make sure I'd fully processed the book.

Every single bit of action is described in detail, and everything other than it was, too. My definite favourite descriptive quote was "Emotion ceases to be an abstract; it's tangible with a taste and smell of its own. Tension has an acidic bite."

As I mentioned before, McQuein uses a lot of short sentences to add impact to the book. This is true particularly to the last sentence of each chapter, which ninety percent of the time was a short, impacting sentence that gripped you to carry on. One of them that stayed with me all throughout the book, even afterwards, was "This isn't Purgatory. This is Hell."

The characters in this book come to life, because we're given bits of their history and all the thoughts and emotions are really clear. The main protagonist, Marina, didn't have many friends. She got pretty frantic at times, though in her circumstances it was understandable, and curiously, she got very protective and secretive at many points.

In all honesty, I liked the secondary characters better- Tobin and Mr Pace. Tobin was a very protective, kind and didn't like to talk or show his emotions very much; but that's typical to most boys! He has been added to my book boyfriend list. Mr Pace, her teacher, was like a typical teacher, calm, collected and strict at times, and kind in others. As a character, he intrigued me; I had a feeling there was more to him than we were shown.

The idea of there being a Fade was interesting and made it into the unique dystopia it is. The fact that Marina could sometimes hear him made me even more intrigued, as he only said single words, like "Recognition... Nothing... Remorse..." 

Another favourite quote was "we became a massive khaki tangle, with a single heartbeat...". I just found this to be a beautiful, descriptive quote. 

So, naturally, overall, I loved this book. It's beautifully written, descriptive and extremely clear... It's pretty much all I want in a book!



Charli x

8 comments:

  1. I just found your blog while scrolling through Twitter, and I'm so glad I did!:) Awesome review, the book sounds really good.

    It has been great checking out your blog girlie!:)
    ~Cambrie @ http://andsothebookbegins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! :) Thank you! I'll check out your blog now :D

      Charli x

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the secondary characters were of interest as I love it when that happens... :) Also, I'm glad to see it had a unique twist (the Fade)! This sounds brilliant & I always take note when you give a book 5/5 stars.

    Amazing review Charli, like always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love secondary characters! Especially these :) I thought The Fade was an awesome unique idea. Thank you so much!

      I think you'd really like this book :)

      Thank you!

      Charli x

      Delete
  3. I'm really glad you liked this book! I think I might give it a go since you gave it a full 5/5! It sounds brilliant! Great review, Charli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It's very good :)

      Thank you :)

      Charli x

      Delete
  4. Hey, great review, I will definitely check this out, it sounds so imaginative and I love good writing too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's an amazing book, I think you should try it out!

      Charli x

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori