Friday, October 25, 2013

Discussion: Do You Write DNF Reviews?

This is something that has been bugging me as a newish book blogger for a while. 

I haven't seen many DNF reviews around, but it makes me wonder if people write them. I'm yet to DNF a review book, even if I have to force myself, but I know that one day I won't be able to finish one and yet feel the need to review it because it is a review book.

A few times, I've had to DNF library books because of the fact that I need to read review books, so I don't bother reviewing these, especially since there's a high chance I'll go back to them when I'm between books (which currently is rare, but it does happen, obviously).

But because of this, I wonder what I should do if I can't finish a review book. Do you write a review on what you've read, that's probably very judge-mental? Do you write to the author/publisher and tell them that you can't review the book? It's quite an interesting debate, I think. Some bloggers don't, but some do. Would DNF reviews put people off a book further, just because you couldn't swallow down a book just to review it negatively?

I don't know if I'll ever have to write a DNF review, or if I'll want to. What's your opinion? Do you write DNF reviews? Do you read them, and if so, do they put you off the book?


Charli x

9 comments:

  1. It's totally okay to DNF a review book and post a DNF review of it. You can state the reasons why you cannot finish it and the things that you don't like in it. However, you don't have to publish a DNF review on your blog if you feel bad! You can just simply let the publisher/author know and if they ask for a review, just send it to them. Publishers won't get mad at you for not finishing their book -- it's something that has happened over the blogosphere for a long time and not everyone will like the same book.

    Some people won't write DNF reviews but I personally do. And I think negative reviews won't stop everyone from reading the books. Well, some would be put off but I find some negative reviews very hilarious and informative that I purposely buy the book to see what I'll think of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that seems to be what most people's attitude on it. I think, if I have to, I will write DNF reviews. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. I have reviewed some dnf's. I stated why I gave up on a book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to write a DNF but if I came to a book I couldn't finish I would. I think it's smart to state why but it's on the reviewers discretion as to how detailed you want to be. I read DNF reviews because I enjoy comparing my opinions to others. I've loved books others couldn't stand and vice versa. It's what makes reading so great in my opinion. I think people just have to remember that you can be honest without being overly rude. It's just a different form of a critique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think this sounds like a fair judgement.

      Delete
  4. I've written DNF reviews before. For both review books, and others. I think it's perfectly fine. The whole idea of my blog is too share my opinions on the books I read, whether it's good or bad. So even if I didn't finish the books, I'd still want to share my opinion on it, because that's what I love doing,

    Great discussion. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charli, I can see where people are coming from, and I'd read other people's DNF reviews out of interest, but I can't imagine a situation where I'd write one myself:

    i) If I'd bought/borrowed a book, or been sent one unsolicited, and it wasn't working for me, I'd just abandon it and not waste my time reviewing it as there are loads of brilliant books out there that I'd love to spend the time reading instead.

    ii) If I'd agreed to review a book and it had been sent to me by an author/ publisher, I'd feel I had a commitment to complete and review it. I'd be fed up and I'd be more picky about what I take on in the future, but I'd struggle through it.

    But this is just me and everyone should do what they're happy with.

    R x

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori