Thursday, October 03, 2013

Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson (Buddy Read with Fionnuala)

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, teenager Will Grayson crosses paths with..."Will Grayson"! Two teens with the same name who run in two very different circles suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions. Culminating in epic turns-of-heart on both of their parts, they team up to produce the most fabulous musical ever to grace the high-school stage. Told in alternating voices from two award-winning, popular names in young-adult fiction - John Green (author of "The Fault in Our Stars") and David Levithan (author of "Boy Meets Boy") - this unique collaborative novel features a double helping of the heart and humour that has won both authors legions of fans.

Authors: John Green and David Levithan
Publisher: Penguin Books (UK)
Date of Publication: April 6th 2010 (UK)
Pages: 308
Source: Bought
Goodreads | Amazon

The first DM's. The confusion started.
I buddy read this with Fionnuala from Books for Birds,which wasn't planned, but it turned out we were both reading it! We even live-tweeted the last 5 chapters! Fionnuala was awesome to buddy read with and if we have the same book again, I'd definitely like to buddy read with her again. Go follow her, ok? This review might be a bit confusing, so just to make sure it's clear, if I'm talking about "Depressed Will Grayson" the writing will be in bold and if I'm talking about "Straight Will Grayson" I'll be normal.

The first thing I can say about this book is the fact that it was totally open about the gay theme. It was introduced in the first or second page, subtlety, of course. I liked the fact it wasn't hidden that the book had homosexual themes. There were also themes of depression, which was good to see, as it's a theme that's often slid over and not talked about much.

You can totally tell it's a modern book: people are okay, even though they teased a bit, with the fact that Will is gay. It also contains instant messages between characters and the use of facebook.

Another thing is the fact that the point of view from Will to Will is clear, because the two characters have a very different writing style. Will used no capitals, so I'm was i'm, etc. His speech was also written like a play, and to illustrate this, this is one of my favourite quotes of his, in that form. It shows that he does have a sense of humour, even through depression:

"mom: i should fix the salad.
me: why should you fix the salad? 
mom: doesn't tiny like salad?
me: i told you, i think tiny would eat baby seals 
if we gave them to him. but, i mean, why do you have 
to fix the salad? who broke it? i didn't touch it. 
did you break the salad, mom? if you did, 
YOU BETTER FIX IT!"

As you can tell, from my mentions of depression, this book is full of emotions and thoughts. It's written kind of like a diary, I guess. It also uses lots of metaphors, contrast and has amazing character formation. 

I preferred Will over Will. I think this was because of his personality, and how open he was. Me and Fionnuala were talking about how if a teen is depressed, why would they bother with SPG (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar)? I also said that most teens don't even use SPG at all, only really at school, let alone if they're depressed. I also loved Tiny! Not like how I love a book boyfriend, because he's gay and he's strange, but he was a cool, funny character! He wasn't afraid to love or be gay, and didn't care what people thought.

During the last 5 chapters, me and Fionnuala (accidentally) live-tweeted our reading of it. We'd finished talking about the five before, and said we'd finish it for the next day. It turned out, as soon as we had finished the conversation, we both turned back to our books! So we live-tweeted reactions to some of the pages...



















Those screenshots say it all, really. So, lastly, there were some killer quotes in  this book. You've already seen one, but here are two more. They're both from Will, because I didn't write down any from Will!

"with that simple word- mathletes- it's like every 
ounce of anesthesia i've ever collected in my 
body wears off at once."
and the KILLER last sentence which made us both cry: 
"he may be heavy, but right now, he floats."
So yes, overall, this is an amazing read. It was my first Teen/YA LGBTQ book, and I'd love to read more. 



Charli x

2 comments:

  1. *SQUEE*
    Fionnualalala is sending me this as a book swap and I honestly CANNOT.WAIT.
    I saw your live tweets and it was then I really liked the sound of this book!
    Always wondered how you thought the two authors did conveying the same character (although slightly different)
    Brilliant review, and yes, please do more live tweets and buddy reading again - It was fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah!! Thanks so much Zoe!! Enjoy the book :p

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori