Saturday, November 02, 2013

Review: The Soterion Mission

Does the Soterion hold the key to saving civilization?

In a post-apocalyptic world where no-one lives beyond their teenage years, the mysterious Roxanne arrives in Cyrus’s village, fleeing the barbaric Zeds. She claims to be on a mission that can save them all, but can she be trusted? Cyrus joins her in her quest for the legendary Soterion, but the Zeds are determined to get there first.

Author: Stewart Ross
Publisher: Curious Fox
Date of Publication: May 2013
Series: Soterion #1
Pages: 232
Source: Review copy from the publisher (TEAM FOX ASSEMBLE!)
Amazon | Goodreads

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my review/views in any way. Thank you Curious Fox!

I honestly don't want to write this review; because this is most definitely a Marmite book. I remember my friend Jack saying something about seeing people loving or hating it, and I have to say I hated it. And I really, desperately wanted to like it! I'm going to pick up on the negatives first and the positives after, so I can hopefully pick you up a little bit.

My main problem with it was the complete lack of character development throughout the book. It just jumps straight in without a proper introduction, and throughout the book so many characters just come in and aren't fully introduced, no more than their names. Maybe this wouldn't bother some people; but I'm a very character-driven person. As a result of this, the little romance is this book felt rushed and didn't have much impact on me.

Another thing was the fact that for a lot of it, there was an excess of action. Though the action scenes were well executed, there were too many of them. You may say that, yes, it is an action book; but even in action books there is a balance, and to me, this book just didn't have it. Because of this, it was quite dragging, too. After 90 pages or so, it got better for a while; and I enjoyed this segment of the book.

However, I love the action scenes and slight gory aspect to this book! The prologue is mysterious, and that does continue throughout the rest of the book. Some of it is descriptive, and I enjoyed those parts; as well as the parts where we could see the characters' thoughts. Oh, and, I adored the links to the non-dystopic world. The frequent references to an IKEA catalogue and similar items besides made me giggle throughout the book.

Generally, this wasn't a horrendous book. If you're one of those people, like me, who can't stand very little character development, this one may frustrate you, but if you don't mind that and like a gorey, action-full dystopia, perhaps you should give this book a go!

Charli x

P.S When this review is published, I will be participating in a national debating competition! Wish me luck! :D

This review was part of Review-A-Thon!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your National Debating Competition! Great review as always, Charli. I don't think I'll be reading this anytime soon, although if I do, hopefully I'll have a better experience than you...

    -- Erika @ The Red Bookmark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika! I hope you do too.

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori