Sunday, December 15, 2013

Author Spotlight: Pippa Jay

A stay-at-home mum of three who spent twelve years working as an Analytical Chemist in a Metals and Minerals laboratory, Pippa Jay bases her stories on a lifetime addiction to science-fiction books and films. Somewhere along the line a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her various characters, she spends the odd free moments trying to learn guitar, indulging in freestyle street dance and drinking high-caffeine coffee. Although happily settled in historical Colchester in the UK with her husband of 19 years, she continues to roam the rest of the Universe in her head.
The Rasmus fan, bad guitar player, and part-time scifi geek. Author of science fictions stories with a romantic soul.

Hey Pippa! *Hands plate of toast and a mug of hot chocolate* Welcome to To Another World! Tell me and my readers a bit about yourself and your books?

Oooo, hot chocolate, thanks! *slurps* hmm, me? I'm a former analytical chemist who left to be a stay-at-home mum to three redhaired monsters. Whovian, Scaper, and Sith-in-training, I live in the historical town of Colchester while wandering the rest of the universe in my head. I write mostly scifi adventures, sometimes paranormal, and often with a dash of romance. My stories are based on and inspired by a lifelong love of scifi shows, films and books.

How do you write? (Places, times, etc)

Generally curled up on the sofa with my laptop, from the moment I get back from the school run to the moment I have to do the pick up. Next summer I plan to move out into the summerhouse to write - British weather permitting, of course! >.<

You write sci-fi, which takes a lot of imagination. How do you come up with plots for your books?

Mostly by stating a lot of 'what if?' questions. Like, what if yiu found themselves on an alien planet for the first time? What if you walked through a gateway to another time? What if you became immortal? Generally I throw my characters into danger or a strange situation, and watch them struggle. Bwahahaaa!

How do you balance writing and being a mum?

With difficulty! It's easier now they're all at school, but before that I'd often be up at 5am or long into the night to cram in those precious moments of writing time. The kids have to come first generally (if they're sick, need help, have events at school etc). But during holidays they understand that mummy still needs some writing time, and can entertain themselves.

What do you do outside of writing?

Weekends are family time - trips to the zoo or beach, walking, going to town or to the cinema. For myself, I do freestyle street dance for fitness, like making outfits (especially scifi costumes), read, and play guitar very badly. No, really, I'm not being modest - I honestly can't play anything very well.

Now, I ask all the authors I host here at TAW this question: which 3 items would you take on a desert island, and they can't be things to help you off (because I know you creative types)?

My Kindle, my laptop, and a solar recharger. Um, I guess sneaking out a barista too is breaking the rules, huh?

Favourite book? (You can have 2, as I'm nice...)
 

Even so, just two?! Hmm, I will cheat as technically these come as single physical books - the Crystal Singer trilogy by Anna McCaffrey and the Earthsea quintology by Ursula Le Guin. :P

Favourite animal?

Leopard gecko

Where would you rather go: Endor, District 12 or Hogwarts?
 

Haha, Endor!

To finish, some this or that quick questions!!

Cake or chocolate? Chocolate
Reading or writing? Writing
Physical books or ebooks? Ooooo, tough one. I guess eBooks as I'm taking my Kindle to your desert island...
 

Thanks for answering my questions Pippa!
Thanks for having me!

Charli x

2 comments:

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori