Sunday, December 08, 2013

Review: The 5th Wave

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up

Author: Rick Yancey
Publisher: Penguin
Date of Publication: May 2013
Pages: 457
Source: Bought
Goodreads | Amazon

This review is going to be very ranty, I warn you! Read at your own peril, it's not my usual style!

I bought this book in the summer after some of my favourite bloggers said it was good, but I didn't read it till this November, when I buddy read it with Crystal and Octavia. Over the few months were it was sat on my bookshelf, as I read more reviews, they were really mixed so I was quite nervous to begin it.

I found the concept quite curious, which was why I'd really picked it up in the first place. And to some extent, it was. But DID THIS BOOK DRAG OR NOT?! YES. Yes it did. Around 200 of the 457 pages just made me sigh, and fidget, and avoid it for days. I completely lost my interest for it because I just wasn't into the story! I loved the start and the end, but the middle wodge... NO.

It was also really confusing! I didn't actually realise the point of view swaps- Cassie and Sam- were alternating between each "part" until Crystal mentioned it, though once I knew, I definitely preferred Cassie's point of view. Also, the chapters were all 1-4 pages long maximum, and the scenes jumped every chapter!

Once I managed to reach the end, it was okay, I suppose. The ending was alright, but it felt really forced! I can't STAND forced endings, because although there is going to be a sequel to The 5th Wave, it always feels like the writer is trying to kill us (and failing), can't be bothered to work out an ending OR have started writing the sequel and have had to jam the ending to the beginning of the next book. I feel like it will be the 1st one or possibly the 3rd, though we don't know.

Onto some positives! I liked the character backgrounding, because although I wasn't clear on the characters at the beginning, there was quite a bit of history to go by and learn about the characters from. I also loved the use of metaphors throughout the book, such as "Because if I am the last one, then I am humanity. And if this is humanity's last war, then I am the battlefield.". My third positive is that all the thoughts of the characters were clearly expressed, but with a little mystery.

So... This is a difficult one. I loved and hated this book; it's been described as a Marmite book, but it wasn't to me. It confused, bored and annoyed me, but there were some good elements. And so, because of this, I am going to give it half marks.

Charli x

4 comments:

  1. You know I still haven't finished this?! I love the writing, I love the characters but you are so right about the pace. I know it's the first in a series so I know a foundation must be built but I'm finding it really hard to keep my head in it. Fabulous review hun, you hit all the nails on the head! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's ok... I can't wait for your review though!! Yeah, I think he built the foundation a little TOO much. Thanks Octavia! :D

      Delete
  2. I've read very mixed this about this book. I bought a copy on a whim ages ago and I still haven't read it because of all the hype...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I bought it on a whim too, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be for me!

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori