Thursday, January 23, 2014

Review: Defy The Stars

After months apart, everyone thinks that River is successfully building a future without Flynn. Indeed, she has almost convinced herself that she is moving on. And then, one day, Flynn is back, bringing with him tales of his glamorous new life. River suspects his lucrative new work involves some form of criminal activity, but will she let herself be drawn back into Flynn's world? Or is this, finally, the end of the line for them both?

Author: Sophie McKenzie
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Date of Publication: 2nd January 2013
Pages: 304
Source: Bought
Goodreads | Amazon

If you know me, you will know how much I love Sophie McKenzie, and how long I have anticipated this! So, when I finally got my hands on it, it's safe to say I fangirled... A lot.

As the series finale, Defy The Stars did not disappoint. It was full of romance, of hope, but had more mystery and more action than the other books. Just like way back when we met Flynn, the description of the romance was absolutely flawless. The emotions were clear-cut and made my empathy all the better.

As I previously mentioned, there was a lot more action in this book compared to the other books. I thought this worked really well as it wasn't, in the most part, set in school like the other books. It was quite dark, however, which linked in with Flynn's history and difficulties.

Because I was so eager for this one, I devoured it in under two hours, and I forgot to mark down any quotes. But I managed to find one of my favourite quotes, an absolutely beautiful one (it sounds like a spoiler, but it's not, so don't worry!!):

"There was no alternative future except one in 
which I was without him entirely. And that was not a 
future I could accept." 

It's been really hard to for this review not to be a mess, mainly because of the ending. Heart-breaking is the only word I can find to describe it; I was speechless (which really doesn't occur very often...) Remember how I don't cry at books? At all? Well, I didn't, except maybe a bit. 

A phenomenal, tear-jerking finale to one of my favourite series that has stayed with me for two years... I can't fault this beautiful book. 

Charli x

2 comments:

  1. Hello Charli ! I read ur post regarding this book :D
    sice i havent get one coz in my place is not yet available , i intend to ask my friend to purchase it for me . is the ending not the happy ending that we expected??? i read everything except the last bookkkk T^T i hope you can reply mee :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Hope you get the book soon and thank you for the comment :)

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori