Saturday, January 04, 2014

Review: Noble Conflict

Years after a violent war destroyed much of the world, Kaspar has grown up in a society based on peace and harmony. But beyond the city walls, a vicious band of rebels are plotting to tear this peace apart. It is up to the Guardians - an elite peacekeeping force - to protect the city, without ever resorting to the brutal methods of their enemy.

When Kaspar joins the Guardians, he has a chance encounter with a rebel - a beautiful girl named Rhea. Haunted from that moment on by strange visions and memories - memories that could only belong to Rhea - he realises he hasn't been told the truth about what the rebels really want, and what he's really fighting for.

Author: Malorie Blackman
Publisher: Random House Children's (Doubleday)
Date of Publication: June 2013
Pages: 357
Source: For review via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley, via the publisher in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you!

After absolutely devouring the Noughts and Crosses series last year, and various other books by Blackman over the years, I was expecting a great read from this book. Unfortunately, I have extremely mixed views on this particular book; it had an interesting concept but had its negatives.

One thing I noticed was that when I picked it up again, I could barely remember a thing. Yes, I was reading several titles, but I never normally forget a plotline; it just wasn't very memorable in the whole. Secondly, at many points in the story, I wasn't entirely sure what was happening; it hadn't been developed enough, and, sometimes, the storyline jumped and was ultimately kind of flimsy.

Linking on from this, because of the fact that I couldn't remember it, sometimes things happened that were a complete shock or didn't make sense. Not revealing spoilers, this was one quote I had no idea about:-

"Yeah, I already knew about... Brother Simon told me."

There was also a supposed love triangle within the book, but it wasn't so well developed and I couldn't see much of a growing attraction, shall we say, between Kasper and Rhea. Because of this undeveloped triangle, the end was a bit fast and slightly unrelated to the war element; because, it isn't a romance book. 

However, onto the positive aspects. The good thing about Noble Conflict was the detail Blackman described everything in; the characters, the action scenes, Kasper's emotions. It also accurately represented war scenes. Of course, Noble Conflict is a dystopia, so the wars weren't the exact same as we know of now; but they were emotionally and physically described so vividly that I could feel my heart breaking. 

"A colossal explosion and a licking tongue of 
flame erupted in front of the platform..."

As a protagonist, I was unsure of Kasper, particularly because of his do-first, think-later attitude to his roles. I could never tell what he would do next! I did, however, like Dillon, Kasper's best friend, as a funny, interesting, secondary character. 

So. With a slightly dragging, unmemorable plot, this was a bit of a disappointment against Blackman's other amazing titles... But it had some beautiful description and great secondary characters, so I'm going to give it 3/5. 


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Malorie Blackman! I have this one on my TBR pile so I really must give it a try. And I need to finish the Noughts and Crosses series... ah why are there so many good books out there that I need to read?!

    It's a shame you didn't enjoy this one as much as you hoped. Confusion is books definitely puts me off so I can understand why you'd find the storyline flimsy. I didn't really get the gist from the synopsis to be honest so I guess I'll have to find out for myself. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noughts and Crosses is amazing, and I read some of her younger titles as as kid... Finish N&C ASAP! The story was quite confusing and I think that was the main reason it all fell apart for me. Thanks Zoe! :)

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori