Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Review: I Heart Beat

Beatrice has got a deadbeat mum, an addiction to online messaging and an aversion to the sun. Except she's being shipped off to stay with her 'Grummer' - a grandmother she barely knows - while her mum has another go at rehab. If Beatrice is going to have any chance of having some peace she will need to distract Grummer with a husband. 

Her plan is simple. But all does not go to plan for control-freak Beat. Suddenly the very important 'rely on no-one' policy has to make room for Toffie; a boy with a bike, a shock of red hair and a love for the natural fauna of South Africa.

Beat always knew that love was found in unexpected places. She just never thought that it might find her.

Author: Edyth Bulbring
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Date of Publication: February 2014
Pages: 224
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Hot Key Books in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Hot Key!

I read this book on a long car journey; and it certainly made the time pass! It was quite a short book so I read it in about an hour and a half; and I really enjoyed it! It was a refreshing change from the heavy dystopia's and massively fluffy contemporaries that fill my shelves these days.

Beatrice, or "Beat", was a protagonist I loved to hate, but also hated to love. She bugged me, a lot, but her intellect and good sense of humour made me love her. I hated how off-hand and, almost, snobby, she was. She pretended to be ill and didn't eat just to set her Grandmother up with someone. I think I almost couldn't relate to her, and that is why I didn't like her very much.

Toffie, however, is a character I just want to hug! He seemed really funny and wouldn't give up on Bea. He made me laugh several time throughout the story!

"It's called The Seafood Diet. 'I see food, 
and I eat it,' he says."

Everything in the book was described in detail, and, though it was quite a basic plot, the chaos and twists of the book made it really interesting! 
This book was really funny and had comic, clear-cut characters, chaotic plot-line and lovely description. I'd recommend it to 9-12 year olds in need of a quirky, light-hearted read to pick them up.


This is quite a short review, but I think it expresses everything I want it to :)

2 comments:

  1. I've seen that quote on the Internet before. Doesn't seem like my kind of book but it seems pretty cool for pre-teens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it would be, but I loved it! Thanks <3

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori