Monday, February 10, 2014

Review: The Moon and More

Luke is the perfect boyfriend, handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline had been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough... Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclucoerceocal artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.
 

Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby? Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Penguin
Date of Publication: June 2013
Pages: 435
Source: Borrowed from library
Goodreads | Amazon

The Moon and More is a coming-of-age story in which Emaline is about to go to college, and after not being about to attend Columbia, is having her final summer working at the resort before having to go to college. It shows her trials through a love triangle and a lot of family issues.

I have really mixed thoughts about this one, and they coerce so much that I'm not actually sure which are negative and which are positive! So, instead, I'll let you make your own minds up about it.

The first thought I had about it was that it was very much like Sarah Dessen's other books; romantic, descriptive... but, unfortunately, predictable. Now, I know contemporary books aren't supposed to have a lot of mystery, but it would have been nice if it had been a tad less forseeable.

However, I did like the use of small details within the story, particularly of Colby, the town, because it made the story seem more real, which, even in reality based stories, isn't always done very well.

The relationship between Emaline and Benji, her stepbrother, was one of the best elements of the book; it was relatable to me and I loved the scenes in which Emaline took him out to the arcades, restaurants etc. 

Within a few pages you can tell the family relationships are less of a "relationship" than somewhat of a strain. 

"There's a difference between the words father and dad. 
And it's more than three letters." 

The romance... The romance was again quite predictable. I preferred her and Luke than her and Theo, to be honest, and I thought the chemistry that Dessen wrote between them was heavier, too. 

"Luke got an egg and bacon biscuit, as always.
Even when nothing was normal, breakfast apparently didn't change."

So, yes, this book was predictable. But it had some great twists and turns, and some gorgeous descriptions. So, overall, I am going to rate this as 3/5.


4 comments:

  1. This one is my favourite Sarah Dessen book, I gave it 4.5/5 stars and her other books have always been a bit 'meh' to me. It's a shame this one disappointed you, having mixed feelings about a book can be fustrating. I didn't really like Theo or Luke but I really enjoyed the family aspect and the description. Maybe it helped that I was abroad on holiday, as I could get in the sunny scene mood xD Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might have been the fact that I've read just so many by her now! Thanks Zoe!

      Delete
  2. I've read quite a few Sarah Dessen books and this one was probably one of my lest favourite. There was one that I loved about a boy going to brain camp (sorry can't remember what it was called) and that one will always be my fav book by her.

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori