Thursday, February 20, 2014

Review: The Summer I Found You

All they have in common is that they're less than perfect. And all they're looking for is the perfect distraction.

Kate's dream boyfriend has just broken up with her and she's still reeling from her diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Aidan planned on being a lifer in the army and went to Afghanistan straight out of high school. Now he's a disabled young veteran struggling to embrace his new life. When Kate and Aidan find each other neither one wants to get attached. But could they be right for each other after all?

Author: Jolene Perry
Publisher: Albert Whitman
Date of Publication: March 1st 2014
Pages: 256
Source: Review copy via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. 

This book is an emotional rollercoaster. That is the only way I can find to describe it; I loved it and found myself riveted; speechless.

Kate is a diabetic, off to college next year. Her long-time boyfriend dumps her... And then she meets Aidan, a newly disabled ex-soldier. Everything changes. Lots of things happen on the way, but could they be right for each other?

As I mentioned before, this book is extremely emotional. There was so much development and it was so real... The slow, but perfectly paced, romance only added to that as did the dual point of view. I don't think it would hit me even half as hard had it only been from one point of view.

I loved most the characters, too. Aidan was such a typical guy, but he was so much more, too, mysterious and different. Kate, it has to be said, annoyed me. She didn't control or bother with her diabetes until she was put in hospital, and the amount of times she was rude or put her foot in her mouth about Aidan bugged me. And yet she seemed so ashamed of her own condition, and she seemed to think she was a completely different person and couldn't live her life. 

"...None of it feels real. It's like this problem 
belongs to someone else."

"His face immediately freezes. His life before this one... 
I had a life before diabetes too."

I think my only problem was that it was slightly slow in places and I disliked Kate. But, the romance of Kate and Aidan worked amazingly, so that didn't matter in some ways. And the amount of cute scenes between the two made it pretty amazing for me.

I loved this in the whole. It was funny and light in places... yet heavy and romantic in others. It was everything I like in a contemporary, even if a few things annoyed me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori