Sunday, February 02, 2014

Review: Who Framed Klaris Cliff

People used to call them 'friends' and said how they were good for your brain. And then a day came when all that changed . . . when they became our enemy.

Now, anyone found harbouring a rogue imaginary person is in for the Cosh, an operation that fries your imagination and zaps whatever's in there, out of existence.

That's why I wish Klaris Cliff had never shown up. And why I know that proving her innocence is the last hope I have of saving myself.

Author: Nikki Sheehan
Publisher: Oxford University Press Children's
Date of Publication: February 2014
Pages: 256
Source: For review
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free proof of this book from OUP Children's in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you!

Who Framed Klaris Cliff  is about a boy named Joseph who has an imaginary friend, Klaris. But now, imaginary friends are bad; and to get rid of them, they put you through the Cosh, frying every bit of imagination you have.

I found this concept of imaginary friends being bad and evil intriguing and different; I've never read one with a concept like it! Full of clear-cut characters and detailed description, this book had stunning imagery, mystery and a fresh new voice.

There was always description as to what Joseph was doing and feeling, which was incredibly insightful. I found that when we found out he was worried about losing all his memories of his deceased mum, I was actually really emotional for him.

"But, when we got home and stepped inside of the 
house, my certainty trickled away like down a drain..."

"...It flooded warmth through my body, radiating out
through my chest. Klaris was hugging me..."

The only thing I did find was Joseph seemed younger than 13; I'm 13 myself, and though I'm mature, he seemed a lot younger than the level of my peers. However, the book was quick and refreshing, so I didn't mind too much. 
Overall, Who Framed Klaris Cliff was a light read with a unique concept; a stunning, beautiful debut.


2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! I completely understand what you said about Joseph sounding younger, but I think it really reflected on his innocence as a character which I think helped us see him develop. And how stunning was that ending? Great review, Charli :D x

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori