Saturday, March 01, 2014

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.
A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?
Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Author: Jennifer E Smith
Publisher: Little Brown
Date of Publication: Jan 2nd 2012
Pages: 236
Source: For review via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Little Brown via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Little Brown and NetGalley

Admittedly, I was a bit scared to start this, having heard all the hype. However, having heard only good things, I jumped at the "Read Now" opportunity in time for Valentine's Day

Firstly, to comment on the cover- how beautiful is that? Minimalist, and I love the font of the title. This continues in the book with the chapter headings, which adds a touch.

I adored the plot. At first, I thought it would be really cliche- 2 people meeting on an aeroplane and falling for each other- but there was so much other substance added, as well, plot twists and family issues, and just so much more.

"...each time, her stomach does a little jig
entirely unrelated to the traces of mayo still
left in her sandwich." 

It was a very quick, light read that I devoured within an hour, which wouldn't normally happen with me, nowadays. It is one of those gorgeously written contemporary books, where the romance is the main theme, but yet there was loads of other stuff going on, at the same time.

There was a story behind the characters, and a history, and their own issues. On that aeroplane, over the 24 hours they are on it, we learn so, so much about Hadley and Oliver, and it made me feel so many emotions; I was smiling, laughing, angry and sad (that sounds really cliche, but it's true!)

I did, however, think the end was a bit abrupt, but it was still a phenomenal read! That was my only fault, except I think it would have been even better in 1st person. That, however, is just me being my picky self!

The protagonists, Hadley and Oliver, are definitely two of my new favourite characters. Both slightly sarcastic, funny, cute, but with quiet problems, I found them both extremely relateable.

"...Not having time to get your hair done undoubtedly 
qualifies as a major catastrophe in their books."

I absolutely adored The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. It's a purely gorgeous, unique contemporary.

3 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this for ages and I want to read it even more now! ^_^ xx

    Through A Cat's Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you loved this! I thought it was really good, just a bit too short for me.

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori