Sunday, April 27, 2014

Charli Reviews: Alex As Well

What do you do when everybody says you’re someone you’re not?

Alex wants change. Massive change. More radical than you could imagine.

Her mother is not happy, in fact she’s imploding. Her dad walked out.

Alex has turned vegetarian, ditched one school, enrolled in another, thrown out her clothes. And created a new identity. An identity that changes her world.

And Alex—the other Alex—has a lot to say about it.

Author: Alyssa Brugman
Publisher: Curious Fox
Date of Publication: May 2014
Pages: 216
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Curious Fox in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Curious Fox!

I read this book a few weeks ago now and I'm still shocked by it. From the start to the finish I was gripped by the protagonist and the way various themes were dealt with.

Alex has been born intersexual and as a baby, her (as she wants to be) parents decided she was a boy and have put her on medication ever since. Alex, however, has now decided she is a girl... And is rebelling due to her troublesome past with both schooling and her parents.

This book smashed all the stereotypes for me. It reflects everything I can imagine it would be like with these situations, and aside from her intersexuality, just shows what it is like in teen life.

I liked Alex. Although she came across slightly bratty, she was ironic, funny, smart and all-roundedly honest. Her mum, however, really annoyed me; she was very wishy-washy and though I can empathise with the fact that she has a lot of issues with her child, she was extremely selfish!

The blog posts that are written by Alex's mother are very insightful as to why she has this character, and the comments written by others were really thought-provoking. Alex's relationship with her parents is so much like a rollercoaster that between chapters the blog posts gave us that other side of the story.

"I'd like to ask my mum because she is really into
craft... We could do it together, but she won't... 
I've always wanted to do craft with her, but she would 
do a total head exploding nana."

Aside from all of this, this bought up so many other little world issues. I've wondered myself for years about books entitled "...for boys" and "...for girls", and this book made that slightly ironic, with Alex's situation. 

"Do you remember that book "Fun Experiments
for Boys?" I'm not sure why possession of a 
penis was so important for the science."

There was so much detail and I felt so much emotion for Alex. I became slightly attached to her, even though at first she came across a little bratty.  

This book was amazing; an interesting, stereotype smashing, thought-provoking gem of a book. I loved the insight into the characters and their situations and it just showed all the messed-up bits of society! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your review Charli! Can't wait to hear what other people think of the book, it's one of our big summer reads this year. And it is indeed a stereotype smasher! :-)

    Ann - Curious Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Alex As Well on friday (I read it in one sitting) but I'm really not sure how I feel about it... I kind of feel like the topic was dealt with quite immaturely and could actually be slightly damaging. Saying that, it was beautifully written and still an enjoyable read. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard because personally we don't know what it's like which is always difficult in a book. Most situations we can sort of kinda relate to, but this was really new. Thanks Cat! <3

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori