Sunday, April 20, 2014

Charli Reviews: Tease

Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault.

At least, that's what everyone seems to think when Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. But Sara is sure she hasn't done anything wrong, because Emma brought it on herself. Sara is adamant that she was the victim - not Emma.

Author: Amanda Maciel
Publisher: Hatchette Children's
Date of Publication: May 1st 2014
Pages: 368
Source: For review via NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Hatchette via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Hatchette and NetGalley!

Tease has become a book I want to see everyone read because of the way it has made me see bullying and so many other issues in such a different light.

This book is about bullying, sure; but from the completely unique perspective of the bully. Tease follows the story of Sara, who bullied Emma- pushing her to commit suicide. The book shows the present time, such as her going to school now, and the court case, as well as flashbacks of the bullying.

There is so much emotion running through this book; I could feel Sara's guilt, regret, bitterness, sadness. We can taste the reality of what's happening; see her as she wants to be seen. And that, that is the beauty of this book, because this is how it is from the very first pages

"I guess I've been numb for a while now.
But I didn't kill anyone."

I think what makes this book so powerful and heart-jerking is the point of view. We learn why Sara is doing it, we see her true personality and shows how bullying affects all the parties that are involved. It's something I wish we could do to bullies, in fact, read them like a book and see exactly why they are bullying, and stop them. It's a very clever, unique perspective.

"Everyone's giving me blank pads of
paper these days."

There is so much detail, so much anguish, that makes it so hard-hitting. The undertones of other subjects, like rape and so forth, make it ever more serious, but it works really well woven into the plotline. 
This book was extremely hard to review; for it's tough subjects, for it's personal value. It's hard-hitting, realistic and outrightly beautiful. 



8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. It's received good and bad reviews but I think you've persuaded me to try this one. I don't normally go for these types of books but I'm open to trying new things :) Fabulous review, Charli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing! Hope you like it. Thanks Erika!

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping to read this one next week so yay! Glad to see you enjoyed it so much, Charli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realllyyy hope you enjoy it! Thanks Lucy!

      Delete
  3. I've not heard of this one but I'll need to look into it now because of you're 5-star rating! Tough topics can be really hard for an author to weave in skilfully but I'm glad this author managed to do just fine. :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, really interesting review. Definitely putting this one at the top of my pile!

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori