Saturday, May 24, 2014

Charli Reviews: Half Bad

Half Bad by Sally Green is a breathtaking debut novel about one boy's struggle for survival in a hidden society of witches.

You can't read, can't write, but you heal fast, even for a witch.
You get sick if you stay indoors after dark.
You hate White Witches but love Annalise, who is one.
You've been kept in a cage since you were fourteen.
All you've got to do is escape and find Mercury, the Black Witch who eats boys. And do that before your seventeenth birthday.

Easy.

Author: Sally Green
Publisher: Penguin
Date of Publication: March 2014
Pages: 394
Source: For review via Spinebreakers
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Spinebreakers in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Spinebreakers and Penguin!

This review originally posted on Spinebreakers here.

I was gripped from the start. Green’s writing is captivating and mysterious, and I had questions I wanted immediately answered from page 4. The main theme, of witchcraft, is amazing, unique; don’t try and compare it to Harry Potter.

“The trick of not minding is key; it’s the only trick in town… 
It’s a one-trick cage.”

Green gives us so much character history about Nathan, and yet, there is so much mystery about him. He has so many side issues that it all just merges together and is just heart-shattering.

A part of the premise of this book is racism. Nathan is a half-code, so he was born from a Bad Witch and Good Witch. He is undermined, tested regularly and basically treated like a prisoner, an animal almost. There is so much depth to this book, and it’s beautiful.

" 'What’s the difference between a trampoline and a Half Code?’…  
’You take your shoes off to jump on a trampoline.' "

The action is carried through amazingly, and it’s so hard-hitting. I had about 10 different emotions running through me whilst I read it; ranging from shock to heart-break. It interested me that in his situation, you should feel sorry for Nathan; but you don’t… It’s just written in the way that you feel empathy and a million other emotions.

This book is just indescribable. I have a major book hangover about three weeks on, and I’m so annoyed that I have to wait a whole year for the next book! I had breaking the spines of books, and so it also annoys me that Green gripped me so much that I broke it TWICE… but that’s an okay annoyance, I guess.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Charli :D This sounds like such a cool read, I love witchcraft books. I'll definitely have to look into this further. Glad you enjoyed it. Fab review :)

    - Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, glad you enjoyed this one! I'm really weary of witch-y books and don't read them. For some reason, most of the ones I've tried (excluding HP, of course), I just haven't liked all that much.

    Oh, yeah, this is the one told in 2nd person, isn't it?! That is so intriguing... I wonder how I'd find it! Did you like it in 2nd person?

    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is partially in second person, yes! I didn't mind it, it didn't really affect my feelings about the book in honesty. It's a shame you've never read a really good witchy book :( I hope you'll find one some day!

      Thanks Rachel!

      Delete
  3. oh, yaaay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Charli- loved your review too!:D This has been sitting on my TBR since... Christmas *GULPS* My dad managed to find a proof in a second hand store in December (O.o) but I still haven't gotten around to it... But this review has totally persuaded me, so I'm going to make sure I read that *soon* :D
    -Gee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY READ IT NOW GEE. YOU WILL LOVE IT. Thanks Gee <3

      Delete
  4. Love the review, Charli! I've been debating whether or not to read this one (dark tones and gore aren't usually my thing) but maybe I will now, seeing how much you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arianne! I think you might like it, it's not really my thing either but as you can see I loved it!

      Delete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori