Friday, August 01, 2014

Charli Reviews: The 100 Society

For sixth-form student Grace Becker, The 100 Society is more than just a game; it's an obsession. Having convinced her five friends at Clifton Academy to see it through to the end, Grace will stop at nothing to carry out the rules of the game: tagging 100 locations around the city. With each step closer to the 100-mark they get, the higher the stakes become. But when the group catches the attention of a menacing stalker - the Reaper - he seems intent on exposing their illegal game, tormenting Grace with anonymous threats and branding their dormitory doors with his ominous tag.

Author: Carla Spradbery
Publisher: Hodder Children's (Books with Bite)
Date of Publication: September 2014
Pages: 317
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Hodder in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Hodder!

I went into this book unsure that it was my type of story; I had decided that even though it was not my usual genre, the concept sounded cool and I should try it. And I'm glad I did. This novel was phenomenal.

From the first page to the last, I was gripped; my hands clutched the covers and I was exclaiming at the plot twists so loudly that my mum nearly crashed the car. The 100 Society is an amazing debut that will enthrall teenagers, undoubtedly.

The plot appears basic; a group of teens who want to complete a challenge (tagging 100 locations) and someone comes along and tries to sabotage it. It's nothing like that at all. There's gore, enemies, conspiracies, as well as romance and humour.

The only single thing I can flaw in this book was the ending; after the emotion and heavy action of the last few chapters, the ending was sweet, but it just sort of fell flat. This, however, is a personal preference and so maybe that's just me.

All of the action scenes in this book are flawless; satisfying your hunger to know more about what is going on and described as strikingly realistic. As someone who normally isn't a fan of heavy action scenes, I really loved them.

As I mentioned, there are so many plot twists. One page, you believe one thing, and the next, it turns out to be untrue! Although it's not a mystery book, there are places you have to guess or you will heavily think you are right about something when you're actually not. I honestly was squealing about this in the car and my mum was heavily confused.

My favourite character was Patrick (Trick). As a bit of an arty rebel, he seemed really awesome and just generally someone who I'd want to be best friends with! Grace, the protagonist, also seemed interesting. I'd say that all of the characters were unique and entertaining in some way.

This is definitely going to be one of my favourite books this year; it has everything I want in a YA book even though it's not of my usual genre. Spradbery has written a stunning debut that I can only fault for small reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori