Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Charli Reviews: The Geography of You and Me

Owen lives in the basement. Lucy lives on the 24th floor. But when the power goes out in the midst of a New York heatwave, they find themselves together for the first time: stuck in a lift between the 10th and 11th floors. As they await help, they start talking...

The brief time they spend together leaves a mark. And as their lives take them to Edinburgh and San Francisco, to Prague and to Portland they can't shake the memory of the time they shared. Postcards cross the globe when they themselves can't, as Owen and Lucy experience the joy - and pain - of first love.

And as they make their separate journeys in search of home, they discover that sometimes it is a person rather than a place that anchors you most in the world.

Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher: Headline
Date of Publication: April 2014
Pages: 337
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Headline/Bookbrigr in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Headline/Bookbrigr! 


I read this way back in April. And since then, I've tried to get my thoughts together about it, because they're very mixed. From when I finished it to now, my opinions have changed and become a lot clearer.


To begin with, the setting is portrayed really well; and this is one thing which continues on throughout the book. I can see no faults in that, neither can I how the characters are introduced. It becomes slightly repetitive in places, but it's not bad.


The conversations between Lucy and Owen are cute, and everything blossoms into the expected romance. It's all cute and fine and dandy. Then we find out both of our characters' underlying problems. Now, these aren't spoilers because the plot already tells us all of this... It's predictable anyway, but I felt like I was reading an extended blurb.


It was also a bit slow. Everything took a while after the sweet beginning and excitement of Lucy and Owen meeting. The thing that kept me interested was the alternating point of views; I preferred Owen's whole-heartedly.


Nonetheless, it wasn't a bad book by any stretch. I can say I definitely preferred The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight but this wasn't bad. It was nice. In honesty, it's just a typical contemporary.


" 'So you have friends in high places, huh?'
'Low places,' he said... 'The basement, remember?' "

As you can see from the quote above, there were funny points, and there were serious ones, like this:

" 'There's a difference between loneliness and solitude.'"

So, yeah. This wasn't particularly spectacular, especially compared to Smith's other book that I have read. But it wasn't bad at all, it was just okay. I will soon be reading This is What Happy Looks Like so I am hoping I enjoy that one more. 


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed The Geography of You and Me, but I haven't really read any of her other writing so I don't have anything to put it up against. But i do have to agree with you, Owen's POV was something that I did enjoy to read a lot more. x

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori