Sunday, August 03, 2014

Why Charli DNF'ed: Grasshopper Jungle and Goddess

I don't write DNF reviews, but for these two books, I had specific reasons for DNF'ing aside from boredom so I thought I'd explore it. 

In the small town of Ealing, Iowa, Austin and his best friend Robby have accidentally unleashed an unstoppable army. An army of horny, hungry, six-foot-tall praying mantises that only want to do two things. This is the truth. This is history. It's the end of the world. And nobody knows anything about it.

Author: Andrew Smith
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Date of Publication: February 2014
Pages: 394
Source: Review copy via the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Electric Monkey  in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you! 

This book was... interesting. I buddy read it with Debbie back in January, and we both gave up at the same point (around 170 pages).

It's definitely a Marmite book, no doubt about that! So many people have loved it and have raved about it, but it just wasn't for me.

The protagonist, Austin, is very clearly confused about his sexuality. He talks about that, and/or sex, a LOT. Now, personally, I'm not bothered by talk of sex, and in books, it doesn't normally make me uncomfortable, but there was so much! Nearly every page had something.

Aside from this, nothing really happened in the first half, to me. It's supposed to be about the end of the world, but it just seemed to be like a normal life.

I don't know. Maybe if I'd carried on, I would have liked it. But I just couldn't! It's not a badly written book or anything, just not for me.

Strikes. Starvation. Riots. Britain is at breaking-point and Aura is blind to it all. The Cult of Artemis is the only home she’s ever known. Enclosed in its luxury lifestyle, the unrest gripping the country seems to belong to a distant world. Her dream is to serve the Goddess and taking a vow of chastity and obedience seems a small price to pay. But days before Aura is due to be initiated as a Priestess, she meets Aiden, the rebellious son of a cult insider, whose radical ideas and unsettling charm force Aura to question everything – and everyone – she knows.

Author: Laura Powell
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Date of Publication: April 2014
Pages: 304
Source: Review copy from the publisher

I received a free copy of this book from Bloomsbury in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Bloomsbury!

The fact that I didn't like this book annoyed me because I desperately wanted to! It sounded like exactly my type of book!

It starts off quite well, with the prologue being descriptive and intriguing, and the start of it interesting me too. I started to think the description was a little heavy, but I figured it was introducing the story. This continued though, and there were lots of unneeded little details and adjectives. I definitely think that is a personal preference, though.

I didn't like the protagonist from the beginning. She seemed really vain, yet thought she was ugly, and was quite sappy. I don't like characters like this, so naturally the voice annoyed me.

I also just couldn't imagine the world. I always want to be able to see the world in my head so this stopped my enjoyment.

All the points about why I didn't like this seem to be down to your personal taste in books, which is fair enough. If you like really heavily descriptive reads, then it could be for you! But, as you can see, it unfortunately just wasn't for me. :(

2 comments:

  1. I also DNF'd Grasshopper Jungle for the same reasons. Sex in books or talk of sex doesn't bother me but it was just too much.
    Interesting review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad about GJ, because so many other people seem to adore it! We need to do another buddy read with a better book!

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori