Friday, September 12, 2014

Charli Reviews: Fearsome Dreamer

There is a world where gods you’ve never heard of have wound themselves into hearts, and choice has led its history down a different path. This is a world where France made a small, downtrodden island called England part of its vast and bloated empire. There are people here who can cross a thousand miles with their minds. There are rarer people still who can move between continents in the blink of an eye. These people are dangerous. And wanted. Desperately wanted.

Author: Laure Eve
Publisher: Hot Key
Date of Publication: October 2013
Pages: 384
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Hot Key Books in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Hot Key!

Going into Fearsome Dreamer I thought it was going to be one of those books that I either loved or hated. I was neither wrong or right about that statement, and you'll see why later in the review. I started it, and I found myself reading 150 pages in about an hour. It was addictive; an intriguing, beautiful concept and a huge amount of gorgeous world-building.

About halfway through, I did find it slowing down, but this wasn't necessarily a bad thing; it made me stop and consider more about the plot and the world. Then, around 90 pages before the end, it got more exciting again, and I liked that.

The romance running through the book was slow developing, but it worked really well and I enjoyed reading about it. With such a complex concept and world, it added another element to the read that I liked.

I think my annoyance with this book was that I found the swapping between point of views and worlds too much. I didn't feel connections to the characters very much, and because of that I couldn't get into it as much as I wanted to.

Although I had a few qualms with this book, Eve writes astonishingly beautiful, and this book is very powerful; with an amazing concept and plot-line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori