Thursday, November 20, 2014

Charli Reviews: Frozen Charlotte

We're waiting for you to come and play. Dunvegan School for Girls has been closed for many years. Converted into a family home, the teachers and students are long gone. But they left something behind...Sophie arrives at the old schoolhouse to spend the summer with her cousins. Brooding Cameron with his scarred hand, strange Lilias with a fear of bones and Piper, who seems just a bit too good to be true. And then there's her other cousin. The girl with a room full of antique dolls. The girl that shouldn't be there. The girl that died.

Author: Alex Bell
Publisher: Stripes
Date of Publication: January 2015
Pages: 368
Source: ARC from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Stripes in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Stripes!

Before I read this book, I hadn't touched a horror book in about four years. So, not to sugar coat it, I was extremely nervous. And correctly so - this was scary. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a scary read; although this is probably mild compared to some stuff!

It starts out with Sophie and her best friend playing on a Ouija board app in their favourite cafe, and it all starts to get a bit freaky. Sophie then goes to stay with her uncle for the summer; and from there, it only gets freakier. Bell describes the setting of the house and all the rooms in a delicious amount of detail which made it all the scarier for someone like me!

Although I think the plot had a few holes, it was easy to follow and everything linked up. There was a small element of mystery which was interesting, as well, and I loved trying to work everything out.

I wasn't particularly keen on any of the characters; for they were all a bit on the odd side; but I did have a soft spot for Lilias, as well as Cameron, two of Sophie's cousins. Cameron seemed like the genuine one of the family whom actually had an ounce of common sense.

This book made me jump at times and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I had to make sure to read it in a well-lit room where there were other people around! And even so, I kept looking around for the dolls around me...

So, this book wasn't mind-blowing, of course, but it had a great plot and was scary enough to make me have a few mild nightmares! It was also really interesting and had a couple of fun themes weaved through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori