Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Charli Reviews: To All The Boys I've Loved Before

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all. 

Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Date of Publication: August 2014
Pages: 422
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from S&S in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Simon and Schuster!

I have an extremely mixed view on this book; I found it overly petty and cliche to begin with, but I enjoyed it a great deal as well.

I don't think there was really enough romance in the book for a romantic contemporary. The romance is obviously not the only theme in the book; but it wasn't prominent enough, even amongst the well-done themes of family and sisters. 

Lara Jean was a bit of a wet character and I found it a bit odd that she was "in love" with her sister's ex-boyfriend. She's childish, naive and a bit spoilt, to say the least. She read like a 13-year-old, not a 16-year-old. These type of characters are never for me; and I did find her slightly annoying throughout the book.

I don't think this book needed 400 pages. I found myself turning the pages and loving some of it, but I felt like there were elements that weren't needed to the story.

Like I say; I actually enjoyed this, even though so many aspects annoyed me. I found it interesting and I did want to know what happened, particularly in the romantic aspect with the crushes whom the letters had been sent to.

The concept of the letters themselves did intrigue me; which was why I picked up this book to begin with. This was the theme I enjoyed the most, I think, seeing who sent the letters, reading them and seeing how the different boys reacted.

I don't think this was a bad book by any stretch; it just isn't a favourite of mine. I loved some parts and hated others, and I was unfortunately put off by the voice.

1 comment:

  1. I reviewed this book a little while back, and didn't enjoy it. I agree that it was weird that Lara was in love with her sisters ex-boyfriend, and yes she was super childish. To be honest, Lara annoyed me so much. This book certainly didn't need to be 400 pages - so unnecessary. Ugh!
    Great review (:
    - Cambrie @ and so the book begins ( http://andsothebookbegins.blogspot.com/ )

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori