Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Charli Reviews: Apple and Rain

When Apple's mother returns after eleven years away, Apple feels whole again. But just like the stormy Christmas Eve when she left, her mother's homecoming is bittersweet. It's only when Apple meets someone more lost than she is that she begins to see things as they really are. 

A story about sad endings. 
A story about happy beginnings. 
A story to make you realise who is special.

Author: Sarah Crossan
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Date of Publication: August 2014
Pages: 330
Source: Review copy from the publisher
Goodreads | Amazon

I received a free copy of this book from Bloomsbury in exchange for a honest review. This does not affect my review/opinions in any way. Thank you Bloomsbury!

Most people who know me fairly well know that I adore Sarah Crossan's writing; Breathe is to this day one of my favourite books ever. So, of course, I've been excited for this since it was announced - even when it then took me almost a year to get to read it!

Apple and Rain follows Apollinia, who's mum abandoned her and her nan when she was young. After over a decade, she comes back and wants Apple to live with her, and naturally Apple jumps at the chance; before she realises that it maybe isn't as good an idea as it seems.

Crossan doesn't disappoint with this; it's beautiful and tear-worthy from the first page. Of course, as a heartless person whom doesn't cry at books, I didn't... But I imagine a lot of people would! Apple is a gorgeously written protagonist who I felt really invested in; I felt unadulterated anger and sadness and everything between for her.

There are so many elements of this that are difficult, and Crossan portrays them so realistically. The issue concerning Rain and Jenny might be laughable to some people; but we don't always consider situations like that, because they seem strange - but things like that do happen to children.

One of the subjects of this book is alcohol, which I always find an interesting one. Seeing Apple have this sudden introduction to it and having hangovers, mixing cocktails etc was kind of hard for me. I'm not opposed to alcohol, but I'm not really bothered by it either; and reading about this teenager who seemed so curious about it was strange. It made for a more interesting reading experience.

And then there's the other side of the issues tackled; the "normal" one of  being a teenager. The bullying and friendship issues, the boys, the teachers plaguing you for homework. I was really glad that these were still tackled, because sometimes "difficult" books wash other them.

But no matter of the difficult topics weaved in Apple and Rain, there were elements that made me smile, as well. I loved reading about Apple discovering her love for poetry, and the bonding between Apple and Rain themselves as we go through the book.

I adored this; everything is genuine and I think anyone could enjoy the beautiful heart-break that Apple and Rain offers.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds both adorable and heartbreaking simultaneously. The perfect combination for fall showers. I'll make sure to add it to my TBR.

    Amelia @ YA Bookologists (ya-bookologists.blogpspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this review, Charli! I read and loved One recently and I was sent Apple and Rain quite a while ago. Must bump it up the tbr now :) x

    ReplyDelete

Anything written in reviews or discussions is our opinion or others (credited). If you would like us to review your book, please check our review policy before you email us :)

Thank you for leaving a comment, we reply to them all and they make us really happy! *hugs*

Charli and Tori